Sunday, March 16, 2014

(UPDATE) How to Fix: Random Pebble Disconnects and Smartwatch+


Sometimes throughout the day, my Pebble Smartwatch will randomly disconnect from my phone, or maybe even the other way around. What I do know, though, is how to fix it. I took to the forums and got no response, and also took to the IRC with no good response, so I just take a few small steps to successfully reconnect my Pebble back to my phone.

UPDATE: According to someone from #Pebble on irc.freenode.net, the Pebble app for iOS tends to crash every so often, hence the reason it disconnects. I can't confirm whether this is true or not, as I personally felt it may also be due to iOS watchdog simply killing apps to save memory. As a jailbroken iPhone user, I found that using Background Manager ($0.99 in Cydia) solves the problems I've been having with any other random disconnects. Simply install the tweak and navigate to iOS settings, and ensure that both Pebble app and Smartwatch+ app are set to "Forced" for backgrounding, but leave the Global settings how they are. Also ensure they are set to start up with your iPhone, and set to automatically start up when closed. For users that are not jailbroken or simply do not want the tweak, feel free to follow the steps below! It may end up that the steps below solve your issue without the need of this jailbreak tweak.

I tend to have problems with every day tech issues, so I'm going to start making little blog posts for every time I have issues with something, and I will give instructions on how to fix the issues in the easiest ways possible. Seem simple enough? I hope so!

As for the current issue with the Pebble, I'm not sure exactly what is causing it, but it does randomly disconnect every few days. Perhaps it's the Smartwatch+ app I'm running, or maybe a faulty Bluetooth controller on the watch. I'll never find out for sure, but here's what you have to do to get it working again:

Fixing Random Pebble Disconnects:

  1. Close the Pebble app and Smartwatch+ app on the iOS device that your Pebble is connected to.
  2. Disable and re-enable Bluetooth from the Settings app under the Bluetooth menu at the top. This likely isn't needed, but depending on a persons specific issue, this could help.
  3. Open the Pebble app and Smartwatch+ apps again, and leave them running in the background. You may use the home button to background them, but DO NOT close them in the app switcher!
  4. Navigate back to the Bluetooth menu on your iOS device, and select both of the Pebble sources (one should be "Pebble XXXX" and one should be "Pebble-LE XXXX"). Make sure they read "Connected". If you get an error, skip to "Troubleshooting" at the bottom.
  5. Open the Pebble and Smartwatch+ apps again to ensure that your Pebble is connected properly, and you're done! You can also simply flip back and forth between the SmartStatus watch face to refresh it.

Troubleshooting:
  • Can't connect to your watch through the Bluetooth menu on your phone?
    • Restart both your iOS device and the Pebble Smartwatch
      • iOS - Hold sleep button, and power it down when prompted. Turn it back on again.
      • Pebble - Navigate to (Settings > Shut Down), hold middle button to turn it back on.
    • Try steps 1 through 5 again. If it's still not working...
      • Navigate to (Settings > Bluetooth > "Your iPhone's Name" > Forget)
      • On your iOS device, navigate to (Settings > Bluetooth), and click the little blue circle icons next to the two Pebble device names. Choose "Forget this device" for both of them.
      • Now, try steps 1 through 5 again.
    • Still stumped?
      • Write down all of the names of your Pebble Watchfaces and Apps
      • Then do a reset on your watch by navigating to (Settings > Factory Reset)
      • Then try steps 1 through 5.

I hope this helped you to resolve your issue! If you need any help, drop me a comment and I'll respond you you as soon as I can.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes throughout the day, my Pebble Smartwatch will randomly disconnect from my phone, or maybe even the other way around. What I ... ppebblesmartwatch.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me.
    smartwatch gifts

    ReplyDelete